The primary research objective of the Institute for Diabetes Research and Metabolic Diseases (IDM) is personalized prediction of diabetes risk as well as diabetes prevention and personalized therapy. Studies of gene-environment interaction are the main focus. Through the establishment of very well phenotyped cohort studies with more than 2,500 participants with an increased risk of diabetes, the Institute in Tübingen has great expertise in the prediction and prevention of type 2 diabetes and its complications.
- Prevention and Therapy of Typ-2 Diabetes: Prof. Dr. Andreas Fritsche
- Pathophysiology of Prediabetes: Prof. Dr. Norbert Stefan, Prof. Dr. Dr. Fritz Schick
- Behavioural Neurobiology and Metabolism: Prof. Dr. Jan Born, Prof. Dr. Manfred Hallschmid
- Metabolic Imaging: Prof. Dr. Claus Claussen
- Molecular Diabetology: Prof. Dr. Cora Weigert
- Metabolic Neuroimaging: Prof. Dr. Hubert Preißl, Dr. Stephanie Kullmann
- Microbiome in Metabolic Diseases: Prof. Dr. Reiner Jumpertz-von Schwartzenberg
- Translational Diabetology: N.N.
- DZD Clinical Chemistry Lab: Prof. Dr. Andreas Peter, Prof. Dr. Erwin Schleicher
- DZD Islet Facility: N.N.
Contribution to the DZD research program
- Head of the German pre-diabetes intervention study to develop personalized diabetes prevention strategies
- Development and application of new non-invasive methods for assessing individual risk of diabetes and personalized diabetes prevention and therapy
- Systematic analysis of blood metabolites to identify early markers of impaired glucose metabolism and assess their potential for clinical diabetes prediction
- Studies on the role of the brain in the regulation of appetite, exercise, insulin sensitivity, insulin secretion and ectopic fat accumulation in tissue
- Participation in further clinical studies of the DZD
Prof. Dr. Andreas Birkenfeld
Medical Director of Medical Clinic IV of the University of Tübingen
Scientific Director Institute for Diabetes Research and Metabolic Diseases (IDM) of Helmholtz Munich at the Eberhard-Karls-University of Tuebingen
Institute for Diabetes Research and Metabolic Diseases of Helmholtz Munich at the Eberhard-Karls-University of Tuebingen
+49 (0)7071 2985669